 Events / BrickWorld / 69
Re: BrickWorld 2007 - who's getting paid?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickworld
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2007 13:21:19 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickworld, Marc Nelson Jr. wrote:
   In lugnet.events.brickworld, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.events.brickworld, Marc Nelson Jr. wrote:

   I have no problem with attending a for-profit event as long as I know that it’s a for-profit event. I would have a problem attending an event that gave the impression of being non-profit while actually being for-profit.

How is that impression given, short of actually telling people, “we are a non-profit organization”. The logistics in creating a non-profit alone are prohibitive IMO.

Calling for volunteers does give the impression something is a non-profit, yes.

Not to me it doesn’t. It gives the impression that the organisation is calling for volunteers. One of the biggest music festivals in Australia uses volunteers for a number of jobs. As an example they work a few hours at the door and in exchange get free entry to the event. It is most definitely a profit making event but people still volunteer.

--snip--

   Not at all. It is a non sequitur.

What kind of organizations usually call for volunteers?

An organisation calling for volunteers of course.

--snip--

   You still haven’t answered why organizers wouldn’t want to let everyone know that someone is making money off an event. If that’s a good thing - which you and I and most other people here think it is - why would you want to keep that a secret?

Marc Nelson Jr.

It’s up to the organisers whether or not they wish to share the information just as it is up to you whether or not you want to ask for it. They may have good reasons for not giving it or they may simply not want to bother. It really is up to them. I suspect that if it became a burning issue and severely dampened attendence then they would be more clear about it but if they consider it to not be an issue and attendence shows it to be so then they can keep doing what they want.

As I said elsewhere you (or anyone) has a right to ask for the information but going on and on about it as if you actually expect it is probably unlikely to get it for you. If I was an organiser I’d probably prefer not to have you in attendence as the profit (or not) from your ticket would most likely not be worth the whinging I’d have to hear.

Tim