 Events / BrickWorld / 61
Re: BrickWorld 2007 - who's getting paid?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickworld
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2007 05:15:31 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickworld, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.events.brickworld, Marc Nelson Jr. wrote:

   If there is no difference between them, when was the last time you made a donation to Target? I shop at Target all the time and I think they provide a valuable service - but I wouldn’t give them a donation or volunteer to work a register.

So, you have a problem volunteering or attending a LEGO fest where someone might profit? I mean, until the fest is over and the monies counted, how will the organizer even know if they lose money, break-even, or profit? I bet you don’t lose any sleep over someone losing their shirt WRT a LEGO fest. And it has happened.

I think pure altruism is an awfully high bar to set for someone who would organize a LEGO fest. Financial incentive is a great way of rewarding those who would take the time to pull a fest together. But YMMV.

If you have a problem with it, don’t volunteer at any or attend any. But expecting those who organize events to account to anyone is a bit over the top in my estimation.

JOHN

I have no problem with attending a for-profit event as long as I know that it’s a for-profit event. I would have a problem attending an event that gave the impression of being non-profit while actually being for-profit.

I would not volunteer for a for-profit event. You’re right, it is asking a lot of people to organize these events without compensation. But if you don’t expect event organizers to work for free, why should volunteers?

Financial gain is certainly a worthy reason to put on an AFOL event. So why not be upfront about it? Don’t you think that the calls for volunteers and so forth at least give the impression that these events are not being run for profit? Do you think it’s a good thing for an event to act like a non-profit if it isn’t?

Marc Nelson Jr.

Marc’s Creations