 Dear LEGO / 3754
Re: Is "traditional" Technic being killed off?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 02:35:18 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.technic, Miguel Agullo writes:
In lugnet.technic, Steven Lane writes:

......... Furthermore, Lego representatives have pointed
out on several occassions that the adult builders represent a tiny fraction
of their market. What you, me and a reduced number of other Technicheads
would buy is basically irrelevant. Not that I don't conmiserate, but to
think that Lego is obviously missing out is maybe awarding ourselves too
much importance in the grand scale of the Lego universe.

I beg to object.  The sheer $ amount spent by adult builders - not to
mention the "missionary/salesman" aspect in promoting Lego products to
others SHOULD be of SUBSTANTIAL interest to LEGO.  I know that my own
purchases (insane as they are) are more than the sum total spent by the kids
in my local elementary school.  My own children's interests result in many
more sets being purchased by others as gifts for them.  We ourselves
purchase many, many sets as gifts for the multitude of birthday parties our
children attend annually. Through exposure to the Legos at our house, other
kids playing with ours develop an interest in Legos.  All in all, adult
builders have a far larger influence than their numbers might indicate -
both in spending power and influence.

Unfortunately, TLC seems not quite to get this.  I had an interesting
conversation with a Lego Company team restocking a TRU.  I knew far more
than they did about the product line and was more help to customers with
questions than they were.  A company should value and reinforce such
"evangelical fervor" yet aside from some at Lego Direct, one has the feeling
that current company management knows less about its roots and potential
than those adults that grew up with Legos and continue to "play" with them.

Yes, there are new markets and paths to take, but lets be blunt.  It seems
that TLC is abandoning its basic market - blocks - while pursuing some
rather questionable approaches with mixed results.  I LOVE the "Legos as a
management development tool......."  On the other hand, logical tie ins seem
to get ignored.  I recall posts from some RPI grads - my alma mater -
talking about the bulk bins that came with the TLC commencement speaker.
Good tie in - engineering schools.  Now filter more of it down to the high
school and middle school levels.  FIRST competitions were a good start, but
again, DACTA could be exploited better as a "gateway" for kids.  Nursery
schools have LOVED the Duplo parts that have been donated.  Our Elementary
Schools love having Legos (and ZNAPS) - but the key is having ALOT of them.
One small bin in a class doesn't cut it.  The key is having tons of parts -
and THAT is part of the problem.  Parents buying for kids rarely achieve a
"critical mass" of parts that give kids the ability to really create.  And
THAT is due in part to price.  With Blue Tubs gone, the piece count for most
sets keeps going down.  There isn't a real perceived "value."  Some parents
see a real value to Lego play but - like me - they try to maximize value
when possible.  It seems obvious - even real dog sets fly off the shelves at
the right price point.