Subject:
Elections and Membership in ldraw.org
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 15:56:02 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

With 0.7 of the LSC proposal getting generally good reviews so far, it's
likely that we're close to a final draft on the LSC proposal and it's time
to start thinking about the things needed to make it happen.

Since 0.7 replaces a temporary appointed rump LSC with a full fledged
elected one, I see enabling elections as the item that needs the most
technical attention at the moment.

Offline conversations and posts here convince me that the mechanics of
membership, setting up voting, creating discussion groups et al, while
significant work, pose no difficult, much less insurmountable, problems.

The definition of who's a member of ldraw.org and thus, eligible to vote on
LSC membership, on the other hand, might.

The formal definition is straightforward. It's simply the self selected set
of people who say they're interested.

But how do we ensure uniqueness? emails are easy to come by. We don't want
people stuffing ballots. It was bad enough when it happened in MOTM voting
but when we're talking about the LSC membership, approving charters, voting
on the StC (ldraw.org steering committee) membership and so forth, ballot
stuffing is, in my view, much more serious of a problem.

So how do we address it? Consider this a question to the group. What
mechanisms would the group accept as reasonable and not too intrusive
(privacy wise, member labor wise, administrative wise)? What mechanisms
would be effective? How effective do they have to be? If they're really hard
(but not impossible) to spoof is that good enough? Let's brainstorm. The
final decision may well be up to the volunteers who implement this but let's
give them some food for thought.

In a follow up post I'll give some ideas of my own, but for now, look around
you. Consider how LUGNET does it. Consider how other sites do it. Consider
how other (non virtual) organisations you belong to do it.

What do you like, what do you dislike? Why?

XFUT to cad.dev.org.ldraw