Re: Elections and Membership in ldraw.org
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 17:51:04 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Orion Pobursky writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tim Courtney writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Dan Boger writes:

We could try to do some sort of web-of-trust, similar to the (mostly
failed) PGP idea.  Members are people who other members actually
know/met.  But that precludes the lone cadder in the heights of the
Himalayas from becoming a member - which would be sad.

That could be one (not the only) verification method. Another could be
sending in a scan of a drivers' license/gov. ID card and utility bill, like
PayPal does to confirm identities.

-Tim

Whoa boy, backup.  We not voting in a world leader to determine the lives of
millions, we're voting on LSC membership.  Since most people balk at even
giving out their real name and Email address, I think this is a
little extreme.

Good point, Orion! Now we get to the meat.

Sending in a paper ID photocopy and utility bill gives a high degree of
certainty of a real person behind the ID but is pretty intrusive. (as well
as labor intensive at the receiving end).

Allowing anyone to fill out a form (possibly by robot) and immediately vote
is not very privacy intrusive but gives almost no certainty of one man one vote.

How secure do we want to be? What's the right balance? I honestly don't
know... What do other organizations do? Specifically organizations with
standards bodies?

I suspect that orgs that have paid memberships may not be a good model as
with payment usually comes some notion that if corps really wanted to pay
100K instead of 50K in order to have 2 votes maybe that wasn't a bad thing?

Are there orgs with free membership that have solved this problem (surely!)?
How?

We need to find the right balance that most people won't squawk about, along
with an acknowledgement of an acceptable level of privacy, and get consensus
that it's the right balance.