Re: Elections and Membership in ldraw.org
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 01:06:27 GMT

Xanthra47 wrote:

I think the letter idea is the best one yet.  I was going to post
something like this last night, but you beat me to it. :P  It's
analogous to Lugnet's membership packet, but less intensive to
administer.  Even a post card with a unique text string on it that the
holder enters into a form on the web site to confirm recipt would do.
Still not foolproof, but IMHO sufficient because snail mail addresses
cost $ and actually require a trip to the post office.
A seperate email verification could be used in conjunction with the
snail mail step. Use different codes and if you get them both back
correctly, then you'd be 90-something % sure their legit.

                -JSM

Sorry to respond to my own post, but it would be simple to
automatically generate and check the confirmation codes.
Just create a hash of the person's info along with
some "salt"  This is easy to do with gnupg : )
Have a program generate mailing labels and slap 'em on
cheap postcards.