Re: Elections and Membership in ldraw.org
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 18:19:22 GMT

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 06:08:54PM +0000, Tim Courtney wrote:
The idea of personally identifiable information is indeed a sensitive one,
and I recognize that. In fact, I'm a privacy freak myself - when it comes to
commercial entities.

the fact the LDraw.org isn't a commercial entity is completely
irrelavent in this case.

The reason I included it in the recap/call for more brainstorming is simple.
It provides an additional option of verification for people who can't be
verified by any of the other means. It wasn't suggested as a requirement.
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough on that point? I wouldn't ever require someone
to send that information if they didn't want to.

I would actually be worried about STORING that kind of information on
the server.  Even for the people who didn't care.  Like someone else has
posted here, I wouldn't want someone to hack one of the machiens at
pair, and suddenly we need to contact all our users telling them their
information was stolen, and they should cancel all their credit cards
and keep an eye out for identity theft.

Dan