Re: Elections and Membership in ldraw.org
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 19:32:16 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Orion Pobursky writes:

I think Lugnet number requirement is a good start.

OK, would that be sufficient? Only LUGNET(tm) members can be members? Is
that too exclusionary? It's certainly simple enough.

If it IS too exclusionary, what scheme would you suggest for those potential
members who are not LUGNET members?

Just to get people thinking, since maybe we're stuck... try this strawman

To be an ldraw.org member, you have to supply 3 things, all of which are
retained in a DB for validation (but not made public)
1. your real name
2. a working email address
3. and any one of the following
   - a LUGNET member number (which will be checked for uniqueness in the db)
   - a FBTB userid (which will be checked as above)
   - a BrickLink userid (as above)
   - a BZPower userid (as above)
   - N current members who will vouch for you that you are a real person
(N=3 perhaps?)
   - mail in something that establishes you are a real person. Perhaps mail
in the letter that ldraw.org mails YOU? It gets shredded on return to ldraw.org

(that last one would be used only for extreme cases as one of the above
would suit everyone, just about)

How would that be? Who would be disenfranchised by that set? Or is even that
set too tough? Should we just allow more or less anyone to vote, ala MoTM?