Re: Elections and Membership in ldraw.org
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 21:14:17 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Larry Pieniazek writes:
<snip>

To be an ldraw.org member, you have to supply 3 things, all of which are
retained in a DB for validation (but not made public)
1. your real name
2. a working email address
3. and any one of the following
  - a LUGNET member number (which will be checked for uniqueness in the db)
  - a FBTB userid (which will be checked as above)
  - a BrickLink userid (as above)
  - a BZPower userid (as above)
  - N current members who will vouch for you that you are a real person
(N=3 perhaps?)>   - mail in something that establishes you are a real person. Perhaps mail
in the letter that ldraw.org mails YOU? It gets shredded on return to ldraw.org

This last suggestion sounds like having a membership packet.  I like the
idea of having a membership package, possibly packaged with a CD of current
LDraw editors, tools, library, tutorials, etc.  And of course, a form for
LDraw.org membership.  Whether an LDraw.org membership requires a one-time
fee, dues, or will be free, remains to be seen.

Unfortunately, the production of making membership packets requires some up
front costs, and time.  It's possible that we come up with an temporary
solution for this summer, and implement a true membership drive for
subsequent elections.  It did take two tries to get the United States off
the ground [1], and it may two tries for us as well.

Off on another tangent:
Ballot stuffing is extremely easy if there are several ways to become a
member without taking verifiable personal information.  (I think that was
the point Amy Hughes was making with her post).  If ballot stuffing is a
real concern in the community, then we have to decide on a single method for
becoming a voter to prevent this way of ballot stuffing.  If ballot stuffing
is not a large concern, then we should be okay with multiple options.

I doubt that there's any way to completely eliminate ballot stuffing.  Even
in the US, you need a voter registration card and ID to vote, and voter
fraud still occurs.  There's always going to be a way to around the system.

John

[1]  My first attempt at footnoting.  After acheiving independence from
Britain, the 13 original colonies formed a loose confederation.  However,
this form of government was quite weak, and interstate trade was severely
hampered from the need to change currencies at each state line, as the
government was limited mostly to military and diplomatic duties, and no
economic duties.  Thus, several years later, the current Federal system was
born under the Constitution to correct the mistakes of the confederation.