Re: Elections and Membership in ldraw.org
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 16:37:04 GMT

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 04:28:50PM +0000, Tim Courtney wrote:
There are several possible verification systems. I think we should use
several, to make it easy for as many people as possible. Ultimately though,
the onus should be on the applicant to prove his/her identity, rather than
the organizers/whoever's managing votes to track them down.

- Buddy system - those who the 4+1 know in person or have spoke with on the
phone can be verified. Those verified individuals can verify others. This
should only go 2 levels deep, IMO.

this still allows stuffing by someone at level 1 - someone you met once,
and therefor know exists.  He can "know" many many people, and you have
no way of verifying if they do exist.  This might be an acceptable risk,
I don't know.

- LUGNET member number - since the membership is paid, I doubt anyone [1]
has registered twice.

(missing footnote?).  Again, might be acceptable risk - though, it is
saying that you can buy LDraw votes at $10 a pop.

- ID scan with address, and utility bill (I know this one rubbed someone the
wrong way, but it can be _one_ method, not necessarily _the_ method)

Might work - means a lot of work on the recieving end, and isn't hard to
forge, with a little of photoshop work.  But, once more - acceptable
risk?

I'd steer away from CC billing, simply cause I don't want to hassle with it.

Using Paypal it's really easy to do - but I can understand the aversion.

Dan