Re: Elections and Membership in ldraw.org
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 15:04:34 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, John Riley writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Dan Boger writes:
On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 09:41:35PM +0000, Jake McKee wrote:
Which brings up an interesting point... a single sign-in/membership system
for the community at large, similar to Passport or similar. Something that
provides a single solution for all organizations/sites that might need to do
something similar. Interesting.

I thought of implementing something like that a while ago - except that
it seems that it would require more cooperation between the different
sites involved than is currently available to draw upon.

Well, I would agree, I meant to mention I was thinking of that as a
medium/long term solution. Sorry about that.

How so? At least among Peeron, LUGNET and ldraw.org (in it's new
reconstituted form with members) all that presumably would need to happen is
for you and Todd to agree, ne?

I think that the privileges would need to change as you move from site to
site. Peeron and LUGNET have blanket memberships:  every member at these
sties pretty much has the same privileges (as far as I know, only admins and
moderators have additional abilities).  LDraw.org has different contribution
levels:  the privileges for LDraw.org vary from reviewer, author, and
administrator, plus there would be a few members who just like to program
and do not want or need access to the Parts Tracker, but still need to be
involved in the LDraw.org standards.  There would have to be some way to
designate in a blanket membership who has what privileges in LDraw.org.   I
doubt that this would be hard:  it sounds similar to group concept of file
access.   I think this could be a long term solution, but for this year, I
would imagine the time frame is too short to implement this sort of idea
(there's the agreement between all the sites involved, which could take
time, and then the actual merging of user profiles, and then setting of
privileges at each site).

If you use the Passport (or really any other similar system, I just can't
think of names off the top of my head) concept, all that the "membership"
system does is verify users. There doesn't necessarily need to be anything
associated with the system profile other than the
username/password/verification. Permissions and whatnot happen on the site
itself. If one site wants to charge a few but another doesn't, then there's
no problem with that.

(That being said, I know that there are times when the "system profile" can
grow to include things that work for every single site, like Passport and
credit cards, for instance. But this is just a nicety, not a requirement)

I'm sort of ambivalent about this idea.  It could work, but since we're
making LDraw.org members voters, I'd feel that it'd be too easy for people
outside the cad community to skew the elections (not ballot stuffing, but
possibly have people outside the cad community end up voting for popular
candidates without regard of the technical issues that each candidate brings
to the table.  It's partially why I don't like the option of voting the
party line in the US, but that's off-topic).  I'm not familiar with the
technical side of running a website like LUGNET or LDraw.org, so it may be
fairly easy to prevent these election skews.

Well, again if you are approaching this system as simply a verification
system, then the content/activities of a site are still exactly the same.
It's just that when a user goes to login, they are redirected to a third
party site. This 3rd party site verifies login, then redirects back to the
orginating site with a thumbs up for that user.

There's also the issue of
people who have left LUGNET to just post at FBTB and vice-versa, due to
personal conflicts on the message boards.  Uniting the FOL sites under the
same membership may bring these people back into contact, which could be ugly.

Well, a membership system doesn't do this alone. Connections are made by
site webmasters/members/contributors actively connecting people.

At any rate, I doubt this (a blanket membership across multiple FOL sites)
can be done in the time frame that the proposal set forth.  Again, it may
take us two tries to get this membership and voting thing right.  But it's
an interesting idea, that may belong more in admin.general

Sure, this may be a big project to implement something like this into
multiple sites using multiple technologies. However, if you are designing a
system for a single site, it could just as easily be this type of system. To
begin with, you would simply have one "member" site using that functionality.

And of course, this leads into the issue of success or failure of these
types of systems. They only really work (or at least work well) if you have
a critical mass of sites using them. I certainly would include it in the
B.I. Portal!

Jake

---
Jake McKee