Subject:
Who can vote for the LSC? (was: Re: Elections and Membership in ldraw.org)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 14:03:40 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Willy Tschager writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Larry Pieniazek writes:
The definition of who's a member of ldraw.org and thus, eligible to vote on
LSC membership, on the other hand, might.

just a few thoughts:

* the LSC is a technical body
* the new file format worked out by the LSC will effect the work of
part-authors and programmers.

conclusion:

* honestly I can't see a reason why people who have never authored a part or
wrote code for a ldraw prog should interfer with a technical issue which
will probably change deeply the way of authoring parts or writing progs.
* the election of the LSC (I'm not talking about LDraw.org) should be
restricted to people registered as reviewers or authors at the PT and the
bunch of code-gods. (I'll leave the details to you of how many parts a voter
must have submitted or reviewed, how many workin' code a programmer must
have written ;-)

I pretty much agree with you. I'm not 100% sure if the latest draft proposal
explicitly states this or not. My original thought was along these lines as
well.

An observation, if I may... I've spent quite some time talking about this
LSC concept, starting a while before the first LUGNET thread...

1. first with a couple people individually
2. with some people as a group
3. the first (very large) LSC thread on LUGNET
4. with a few individuals as a group (drafting proposal)
5. Posted proposal draft on LUGNET

So I've put a lot of thought into this. Do I get a vote? Under the criteria
in the proposal, I don't qualify. I've got a good idea based on the
programmers I've talked to who I'd like to see on there, and I'd like to
have a part in that decision. I do however understand (and agree with) your
concern as stated above.

* authors and reviewers are already registered at the PT, the code-gods well
known. may be the date the server crashed could work as a dead-line.

Or we can set a near-future cutoff date when I post draft 0.99 (which I see
no reason I can't post it once this is resolved, since there's been no more
discussion/concerns aired)

* let's vote! (in the meantime you have all the time to think about a secure
way of holding on-line elections).

We're not quite as far on general concensus regarding voting as we are on
the LSC proposal. Almost, but not quite. :-) When we get there, we'll see
this all get put into motion.

That said, despite some wrangling, I'm very pleased with the direction these
discussions have been taking.

Thanks, Willy!

-Tim