Re: Elections and Membership in ldraw.org
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 17:12:25 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Jennifer L. Boger writes:
Quoting Tim Courtney <tim@zacktron.com>:

- Buddy system - those who the 4+1 know in person or have spoke with on the
phone can be verified. Those verified individuals can verify others. This
should only go 2 levels deep, IMO.

This seems like it might be difficult.

- LUGNET member number - since the membership is paid, I doubt anyone [1]
has registered twice.

This seems fair to me, but not seem that way to non-lugnet members.

- ID scan with address, and utility bill (I know this one rubbed someone
the
wrong way, but it can be _one_ method, not necessarily _the_ method)

I ABSOLUTELY OPPOSE this.  I also oppose having to enter my credit card number
in anywhere, or show anyone my drivers licence.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not a
privacy freak, I just don't honestly see what LDraw needs any of my personal
information for.  I also don't see vote spoofing being a problem that
it's been
made it into.  I think it's completely ridiculous that *this* kind of
verification even came up.

In a scenario where multiple mechanisms are on offer, you yourself might not
ever need to use it, as you'd have several other paths available.

But more importantly, until we've a consensus on what level of validation is
appropriate, I'd rather we just brainstormed about different validation
mechanisms and their pros and cons, without committing that any particular
one be used or, conversely, ruling it out... saying "ABSOLUTELY OPPOSE" in
all caps isn't quite in the spirit of brainstorming, in my view.