Re: Elections and Membership in ldraw.org
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 17:00:33 GMT

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 04:54:33PM +0000, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
Don't forget we don't need just ONE scheme. There can be several, and you
use the scheme you are most comfortable with as a prospective member.

nod, good point.

For instance: (just a thought starter)

Could piggyback off something else... have a complex scheme that involves
mailing in things to somewhere to validate who you are or something OR you
give your LUGNET member number and avoid the scheme, because you already are
valid that way?

well, while I do trust the Lugnet auth to insure that you can't post as
me, I don't see how it verifies that I'm a real person, as opposed to a
part of Jennifer's imagination...

Assuming LUGNET antispoofing is sufficiently robust for us... it is, ne?

I'm not as worried about people spoofing other people's votes, as much
as I am about people registering themselves multiple times.  And that's
the part I can't seem to solve.

We could try to do some sort of web-of-trust, similar to the (mostly
failed) PGP idea.  Members are people who other members actually
know/met.  But that precludes the lone cadder in the heights of the
Himalayas from becoming a member - which would be sad.

Dan