 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 8
Re: LDMC News Digest (To Get The Ball Rolling)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Sat, 9 Feb 2002 11:15:24 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Gary Blessing writes:
This is all great news!!
Do you guys know if this will/could run on Mac OS 8.6??

Wow...we're struggling just to get something to run on X or 9.x...now we
have to support legacy systems too?!? 8?) Maybe we need a new tagline-
"LDMC: Legacy-Free LEGO Modelling For The Mac".

Seriously, I don't know how hard it would be for the programmers to back it
up a step from the 9.x versions...it would likely depend on the OpenGL
implementation available...it was there, but would it interface with, say,
whatever Eric has up his sleeve at the moment? Eric, any thoughts?

Everybody else is concentrating on X right now in the big group, since it
seems a bit easier to port the Linux apps under the Unix core of the new OS.

Of course, my big goal is a whole new application. I think that the ultimate
goal for the Macintosh editor is to have it not just be available, but to
have it be the ABSOLUTE BEST editor in the world!

I want:

- An awesome, easy to use, Mac-like interface (you should see my mock-up
here to see what I mean:
http://homepage.mac.com/bricknbrack/images/interface.jpg )
- Built-in animation tools, including Quicktime export at multiple resolutions
- Definately the OpenGL architecture, so that the rendering inside the
program can meet or surpass what can be done anywhere else. Look at some of
the awesome plug-ins available! It can't be beat.
- Solid parts. No more intersecting pieces...like GriffinBricks had.
- True part interlock/snap...like GriffinBricks had.
- Support for import of backgrounds.
- More, more, more...everything! BWAH-HA-HA-HA-HA!

We'll see more answers here as the programmers migrate here for news from
the e-mail list. Soon, we hope to have all development discussion in this
group...if you don't see an answer sometime, bring it up again after folks
get more active.

Matt