 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 45
Re: OS 8.6
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 18:35:01 GMT

This discussion has got fairly chaotic, and it is clear that different
people want different things from the project. I have noticed at least four
programs suggested:

1. An LDraw program for MacOS 9 and earlier. This is probably best developed
from BrickDraw3D.

2. A Port of LDGLight to MacOS X. This seems quite feasible, given how far
people have already got.

3. A cross-platform Java 2 LDraw program. I know nothing about this, except
that cross-platform java is very different from cocoa java.

4. An all-singing, all-dancing Mac OS X LDraw program, with more features
than any existing system. This is probably best written from scratch, in
cocoa+objective C+open GL.

I just thought of a fifth possibility:

5. Since Maya is planning to release a free version for MacOS X, why not
write import/export plugins for LDraw file format? I don't know how
practical this would be, but Maya has all the features anyone could want.

My interest in this project is almost entirely in 4. I no longer use Mac OS
9 at all, and I only start up classic when I really have to. My experience
as a developer is rooted in Unix, and for me, MacOS X is the best thing
Apple have ever done. I would like to start a seperate thread on possibility
4, if anyone else is interested.

Barney.