 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 31
Re: Anyone considered Java?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 02:53:41 GMT

Yeah, I am writing using Java myself.  However, nobody who volunteered to
help said they knew Java.  I don't think Java3D is on Mac OS 9 either.  Does
anyone know?  I am not even sure where to look to find out.

Another interesting (and promising) thing about Java is this thread:
http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=6867

James

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Gino A. Melone writes:
I did some nosing around looking at the Java3D library with the thought of
doing a LEGO CAD application.  It looks like it might be very easy to teach
Java3D to render dat/ldr files.

They seem to have some sort of built in file reading mechanism that needs to
be taught file formats.  I don't remember all of the details but it looked
promising.

The Java3D API seems to be reaching a fair level of maturity.  They are
producing versions customized to use hardware acceleration.

Java 2 would allow a tool to be used on Mac OS X, Windows, Linux and Solaris.
Among others.

Any thoughts?