 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 38
Re: OS 8.6
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 08:24:24 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Erik Olson writes:
On OS versions: It costs time and effort that you don't have, to try to
support more than one configuration. Forget about it.

BrickDraw3D is targeted at OS 9. I'm not going to test it or investigate
problems on a slew of older configurations. 8.6 is not bad for supporting
the same software environment (Nav Services etc) so is probably fine. More
importantly I still use 8.6.

OK. Are you basically saying we shouldn't try to get ldglite to work on Mac OS
8/9 and instead focus on BrickDraw3D?  That is fine with me.  I know Don wants
his application to work on as much platforms as possible, but he has also said
that it isn't a Mac app at all, and his website plainly says that BrickDraw3D is
preferable.

I would have paid more attention to BrickDraw3d, but I didn't know it was open
source until after I started working on macLDGLite, and I hadn't heard from you
in a long time (sending emails to the wrong email address didn't help), so I
didn't know if you were even planning on working on it still.

Now I know you have your source code at http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/
viewcvs.cgi/brickdraw3d/.  I don't know what to do with it.  There are alot of
files.  Am I suppose to download them all one by one?  Or should I use something
like Web Devil or Page Sucker to download the whole site?  Are the files on the
cvs the most current?  I don't know how the cvs works (but I know what it is
about--to keep all of the code files synchronized).

I figure the Mac OS X users are about at the stage that the PC developers were
when LDraw was originally released.  That is, we now have an editor for Mac OS X
(that is an emulator of the original editor).  I think we need to use it.  You
know, have a reason to want an easy to use editor.

I just want to get the Mac OS 8/9 crowd to this point ASAP, and I viewed
updating ldglite as the quickest way.  I didn't want to pressure you because I
know you have done so much and I didn't want to seem ungrateful.  If you could
suggest what we could do with BrickDraw3D, maybe would could help you out.

OS X was a waste of time. Cocoa still looks nice, but not worth the effort
to learn. I'd sooner switch to Windows XP. Carbon was a colossal waste of
time. As far as I'm concerned, it's an OS 9 Mac-world.

I am sorry you have had a bad time with OS X.  I personally like the benefits of
it such as preemptive multitasking, protected memory, dual processor support,
command line, Java 2 support, perl support, unix applications like apache (I
would never run a webserver on my Mac OS 9 box, but for some reason I don't mind
doing it on my OS X box), etc.,.  And once I get over the hurdles of
distributing OS X in a lab environment, I think this OS is going to be easier to
maintain than Mac OS 9 is.  And believe me, I work alongside a small group that
maintains Windows 2000 lab machines, and they have so many problems, Mac OS 9 is
a piece of cake by comparison.

Many of the developers who have emailed me are Cocoa/Mac OS X only developers.
So it seems already that there is going to be an OS X only application that wont
work on Mac OS 9.

What does everyone else thing about focusing on 2 different apps.  One for Mac
OS 9 and one for Mac OS X?

The Mac OS X app could be something that is built upon ldglite.  Or something
built from the ground up.  Or something written using Java3D.  Or who knows.
This is something that we need to work out.  I think it will ultimately depend
on who actually starts coding something.

Ether way, I kinda hope all of the discussions, whether Mac OS 9, Mac OS X, c++,
Carbon, Cocoa, OpenGL, QuickDraw3d, Java, whatever, if it is intended for a Mac,
I hope the discussions take place on this newsgroup.

If the newsgroup gets too chaty for people to read, they could throw me an
email, I could ask that we discuss things with relevant people off the list and
post summaries (so that others could get in on off-list discussions if they were
interested).  Or some developers could just get a digest.  That way they have a
chance to see everything that goes on if they want, or just read what is
interesting.  Whatever, just so long as this newgroup helps Mac development.

James