 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 39
Re: OS 8.6
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 15:00:26 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Erik Olson writes:
On OS versions: It costs time and effort that you don't have, to try to
support more than one configuration. Forget about it.

BrickDraw3D is targeted at OS 9. I'm not going to test it or investigate
problems on a slew of older configurations. 8.6 is not bad for supporting
the same software environment (Nav Services etc) so is probably fine. More
importantly I still use 8.6.

Ditto, I still use 8.6 here. Its stable and it has the classic Mac look and feel
(which I much appreciate after using the mac for 15 years). OpenGL is supported
back to 8.1, but there may be other issues preventing any of these apps from
running prior to 8.6.

OS X was a waste of time. Cocoa still looks nice, but not worth the effort
to learn. I'd sooner switch to Windows XP. Carbon was a colossal waste of
time. As far as I'm concerned, it's an OS 9 Mac-world.

Perhaps. I have not yet investigated OS X. I suspect that the day is coming when
Apple will ship a machine on which OS 9 is not available. That will be the day
that this issue needs to be reevaluated.

Ray