 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 34
Re: Anyone considered Java?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 04:21:19 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, James Reynolds writes:
Yeah, I am writing using Java myself.  However, nobody who volunteered to
help said they knew Java.  I don't think Java3D is on Mac OS 9 either.  Does
anyone know?  I am not even sure where to look to find out.
Another interesting (and promising) thing about Java is this thread:
http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=6867

I'm definitely interested in working on a Java 2 implementation of LDraw.
Java3D won't necessarily be in the picture; the discussion you linked to has
addressed the need for flexibility in this issue.

The plan here is two-fold:  make it cross-platform and make it an extensible
framework.  It's not so much about implementing LDraw in Java (or Perl or
Python, etc.) for the masses, it's more about designing and implementing a
framework for any programmer to write virtually any kind of LDraw utilities
quickly and easily.  Of course, an LDraw renderer would be one of the first
end-user tools to emerge from this project.

If you're a Mac developer with OOD experience in Java, Perl or Python, and
are interested in making this happen, please join the thread and get your
ideas in there!  :-,

Cheers,
- jsproat