 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 50
Re: OS 8.6
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 21:15:32 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Don Heyse writes:
<snip>
Maybe you OS X guys should pick the slack and try to get this working
here.  I don't know.  All this Cocoa/Carbon/Classic stuff seems rather
silly to me.  You've got BSD, posix, and OpenGL on OS X and for the
first time, I find myself actually wanting to buy a Mac.  (keep that
one in mind before you take my advice, I don't currently use a Mac)

As a long time owner, user and developer of mac software, it is my opinion that
OS X should not be an exclusive goal. In my mind the goals should be 8.6, 9.x
and X. Becuase of some of the underlying issues, there may need to be different
source code bases for X and the "8.6 + 9" releases. It might be possible to have
one binary, but I would not hold my breath on that one.

OS 7 is probably a lost cause.  Erik's right.  That came out of
my daydream to see ldglite ported everwhere, and should not be
confused with your real priorities.

Agreed. 8.6 should be the minimal objective. Once 8.6 is fully operational and
stable, then it might be worth a peek to see if 8.1 is possible, but not worth
any major effort. I believe that most any system capable of running 8.1 and have
enough memory to do brick rendering, should also be capable of running 8.6.

Ray