 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 48
Re: OS 8.6
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 19:36:30 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Barney Hilken writes:
This discussion has got fairly chaotic, and it is clear that different
people want different things from the project.

Yes, you guys need a plan of action. You're making progress, but
you're flying off in all directions.  I think your first step should
be to write a document for ldraw.org that details how to set up the
parts library from the linux parts distribution file, and then toss
out the old obsolete documentation on the ldmc page.  I believe we've
established that the linux parts library works on OS X and OS 8.6, and
I assume that means it'll work on OS 9.  Erik, is this a reasonable
assumption for BrickDraw3D?

The next step would be to extend this document a complete
"getting started" page for MacOs to replace the "Under construction"
sign on that page here:

  http://www.ldraw.org/download/start/mac/

Use the windows and linux pages as examples.  Point new users to both
ldglite and BrickDraw3D.  But don't hesitate to point out the various
strengths and weaknesses of each.  And believe me, ldglite has
*plenty* of weaknesses, especially as a Mac app.  It doesn't get the
2nd lowest "User Rating" at www.ldraw.org for nothing.  It'll grab THE
bottom position as soon as my 6 votes are counted. ;^)  Think of it as
the lowest common denominator ldraw program.

Hmmm, where was I going with this?  Oh yeah, priorities.  I figure
that once you've got the lowest common denominator working, then it's
time to push for something better.  I think you're just about at that
point on OS X.  You've got a functional parts distribution at
www.ldraw.org and a mostly working ldglite 0.9.5 executable on
ldglite.sourceforge.net.  It's time to move on.

On OS 8 and 9 you've got a functional parts distribution, a misfit
version of ldglite, and BrickDraw3D.  As I've said a zillion times
before, BrickDraw3D is your future here.  It promises to be the
Mac app that you want, and you really should be supporting Erik
by beta testing and/or contributing to the source code.  I think
you can grab the sources from CVS in OS X.

  cvs -z3
   -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.brickdraw3d.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/brickdraw3d
   checkout brickdraw3d

Maybe you OS X guys should pick the slack and try to get this working
here.  I don't know.  All this Cocoa/Carbon/Classic stuff seems rather
silly to me.  You've got BSD, posix, and OpenGL on OS X and for the
first time, I find myself actually wanting to buy a Mac.  (keep that
one in mind before you take my advice, I don't currently use a Mac)

OS 7 is probably a lost cause.  Erik's right.  That came out of
my daydream to see ldglite ported everwhere, and should not be
confused with your real priorities.

I have noticed at least four programs suggested:

1. An LDraw program for MacOS 9 and earlier. This is probably best developed
from BrickDraw3D.

2. A Port of LDGLight to MacOS X. This seems quite feasible, given how far
people have already got.

3. A cross-platform Java 2 LDraw program. I know nothing about this, except
that cross-platform java is very different from cocoa java.

4. An all-singing, all-dancing Mac OS X LDraw program, with more features
than any existing system. This is probably best written from scratch, in
cocoa+objective C+open GL.

I just thought of a fifth possibility:

5. Since Maya is planning to release a free version for MacOS X, why not
write import/export plugins for LDraw file format? I don't know how
practical this would be, but Maya has all the features anyone could want.

My interest in this project is almost entirely in 4. I no longer use Mac OS
9 at all, and I only start up classic when I really have to. My experience
as a developer is rooted in Unix, and for me, MacOS X is the best thing
Apple have ever done. I would like to start a seperate thread on possibility
4, if anyone else is interested.

Barney.