 Administrative / General / 8758
Re: Stick in the mud...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 06:31:23 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Mike Stanley writes:
[...]
Call me lazy, won't bother me - /castle should work.  www.hbo.com/sopranos
works.  I guess the system administrator at hbo.com is more tolerant of
"lazy" users.  Or maybe more interested in having his system fulfill its
purpose than in being 100% technically correct when it comes to URLs?

It's not that, Mike, it's that /castle is actually a valid URL of a valid
webpage (it just happens to be empty).  When I view that, it shows me a
button which says "Start This Page" and I could click that and type in
content onto that page if I needed to.  However, since /castle/ already
exists, it's confusing.

An unrelated example:  Check out the page

  http://www.lugnet.com/spotlight

That's a page named 'spotlight' situated off the root of the site.  It used
to be called

  http://www.lugnet.com/?p=spotlight

but no longer needs the '?p=' junk.  Since there is no page or directory
/spotlight/ it's not particularly confusing as is the case with /castle .

I agree that it would be most helpful if the /castle page helped people find
the /castle/ directory, and I intend to "fix" this.

OK, it's now fixed.  It wasn't as easy as I'd hoped, but what I kluged up is
plenty safe.

Now, if you now type in the URL without the trailing slash:

   http://news.lugnet.com/castle

it will silently auto-forward you to the correct URL:

   http://news.lugnet.com/castle/

That's for if you type it in wrong by hand.  If you've got a link somewhere
that does it wrong, you still get the error message.

Similarly, if you type in the URL of a member page by hand without the
trailing slash, for example:

   http://www.lugnet.com/~1/DinoTron

then, seeing that page doesn't exist and that a page with a trailing slash
does exists, it will silently auto-forward to the correct URL:

   http://www.lugnet.com/~1/DinoTron/

And again, that's only if you type it in wrong (without the slash) by hand;
if you're following a bad link, you'll still get the error message and you'll
have to click through manually.

--Todd

p.s.  Note:  If you click the trailing-slashless URLs contained in this
message, you may or may not get the error page depending on how your browser
caches pages and how it sends the HTTP_REFERER.  That is, if you happen to
type in the bad URL by hand, your browser may "cache" the fact that it auto-
forwards to the good URL, causing it to bypass the error page later if you
click the bad URL contained in a link.  If that's confusing, never mind.