 Administrative / General / 6893
Re: Stick in the mud...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 16:38:13 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Eric Joslin writes:
...let's please remember why computers were invented and who is supposed
to be in charge during the user-computer experience.

One hint, it's not the computer. And it's not the system administrator • either,
at least not to the extent of dictating how the user should interact.

That's one theory.  There are others.  I'm sure a libertarian realises that a
given system admin can choose how to admin his own system.

Sure he does.  'Course, if that given system administrator attention to a
level of technical detail that almost no other system around insists on, I'd
say that system administrator is more interested in being arrogantly correct
than in doing what system administrators are here for - to keep systems
running so that users can use them.

If a sysadmin decided "by golly, if users don't type
www.mydomain.com/buystuff/ then screw them, they aren't getting to the page
that allows them to buy stuff from me" that would certainly be his
right.  'Course, the resulting decrease in people who successfully make it
to /buystuff/ and the decrease in sales would be his fault, not the users'.