 Administrative / General / 6938
Re: Stick in the mud...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 11:55:29 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Frank Filz writes:

- situations where the browser automatically fixes apparently defficient host
names (do any browsers allow you to shortcut links by having the a link like
"lugnet", which if typed into at least IE and Navigator will send you to
"http://www.lugnet.com/"? Looks like the answer is no since such a thing is a
local reference and it doesn't work for "http://lugnet" in either case)

I don't know of any browsers that allow it but there are tools that let you do
it.

For Example:

http://www.netword.com/

Netword is an addon to your browser that lets you use aliases for finding
pages.  In Networds case you have to register a "netword" and its link and a
word can only be used once so if its already taken you have to try again.

FYI - I did try this for a while but did not find it useful at all.  While I
had it I did register "LUGNET" to direct netword to http://www.lugnet.com/ .

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/