 Administrative / General / 7604
Re: Trailing Slashes (Re: Stick in the mud...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 22:13:27 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Matthew Miller writes:
In cases where there isn't a redirection, it shouldn't do anything fancy to
it. How would that not fix the issue?

Maybe I misunderstood the problem. I thought you were saying that IE stores

  <http://www.lugnet.com/foo/> and  <http://www.example.com/bar/>

as

  <http://www.lugnet.com/foo> and <http://www.example.com/bar>

in the history.

That's what I heard too.  Hmm.  That jives with my findings from MSIE3 long
ago -- it was confused about the coloring.  But here, this is an even worse
bug.  Steve, what version of MSIE are you seeing this with?

The thing is, if you've never visited <http://www.lugnet.com/foo> but you
have visited <http://www.lugnet.com/foo/>, no browser should ever truncate
the URL such that the next time you try to go back to that URL, it sends the
wrong URL by default.

How about MSIE's bookmarks?  If you bookmark <http://www.lugnet.com/foo/> and
then resummon it, does MSIE correctly request <http://www.lugnet.com/foo/>
from the server or does it mistakenly request <http://www.lugnet.com/foo>
from the server?

The thing about 301 Moved Permanently messages is that the server is saying,
"Oops, you've sent me a wrong URL.  Here is the correct URL and if you ask me
for that URL, you can have the page."  The "Looking for this?" page that the
LUGNET webserver gives for some pages was intended to be shown to people
who've made wrong links, to help prevent them and prevent them propagating.
It's unfortunate that a browser as popular as MSIE would burden every
webserver it encounters by truncating off the trailing slash without user
intervention.  :-(  :-(  :-(

Does MSIE correctly handle URLs like these?--

   http://www.foo.bar/glort/info/grunt.asp?page=/skus/lego/starwars/

(I've seen online vendors with URL fragments after the ? -- passed to a CGI
or ASP script for on-the-fly forms-filling.)  In a case like that, if the
browser chews off the trailing slash, then the server has to know that a
browser might buggily do this, because internally it's not likely to make an
HTTP request for the page but simply to look it up in its local filesystem.
Thus, code for a server could be correctly written to perform under normal
conditions (non-buggy browsers) and may err because of it.  It might normally
fetch /zot/skus/lego/starwars/index.html and when passed bad data, might try
to fetch /zot/skus/lego/starwarsindex.html.  Now, that would be sloppy coding,
but I'll bet it's happening _somewhere_ out there if MSIE trims /'s after ?'s.

--Todd