 Administrative / General / 6829
Re: Stick in the mud...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2000 15:09:44 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Scott Arthur writes:

I thought that was clear. The fact that you think I am able to play semantics
means perhaps it is not clear enough. Naturally, is does not have to be clear,
anything other than deliberately misleading may well be OK. I want LUGNET to
grow & get as much new blood a it can, if the messy front page puts even 1
person off, or taints one opinion wrongly - am I so wrong to suggest it should
change?

Scott, you're all wet. The stuff you're picking at is perfectly clear to any
reasonably clued person. However, if you really really want to be picky, why
not pick on THIS (the last page) instead.

See the admin > financial > donations page for details.)

Naiively typing in www.lugnet.com/admin/financial/donations gives you an error
saying the url doesn't exist. trying just http://www.lugnet.com/admin/financial
gives you a completely blank page (just like
http://www.lugnet.com/admin/random_silly_word does) with just the standard
header stuff.

A while back I suggested that common "mistake" urls ought to work the way the
user would expect. And Todd made changes at that time to catch a lot of the
common ones, at that time. I suspect those changes have been undone, since
there now is technology that generates blank pages (I presume in anticipation
of letting people author content) for unrecognized URLs, if they are only one
level deep from recognised ones.

While this is a good feature in general, it may have some unintended side
effects. (like the fact that guessing at URLs no longer works)

Why not spend your energy finding actual problems instead of sparring about
increasingly minute turns of phrase?

++Lar