 Administrative / General / 6888
Re: Stick in the mud...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 14:09:28 GMT

<snip>

which helps deter sloppy (i.e. wrong) URLs from being propagated.

You're technically correct. Leaving off a trailing slash is technically "wrong"
syntax. But before we condemn servers for automatically adding it back in and
doing what the user expects without a lecture to the user on "proper" URL
syntax, let's please remember why computers were invented and who is supposed
to be in charge during the user-computer experience.

One hint, it's not the computer. And it's not the system administrator either,
at least not to the extent of dictating how the user should interact.

Having said that, I think what you propose as a way to catch omitted slashes
seems reasonable.

++Lar