 Administrative / General / 6916
Re: Stick in the mud...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 21:19:27 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Frank Filz writes:
I agree that this is ideal in cases where the user may have mis-typed the
URL by hand (or had been given the wrong URL from, say, a print ad in a
magazine, and they typed it in by hand).  I'm not sure it's ideal for cases
where someone explicitly wrote the URL wrong when they made a link from
another page.

Except that it's a pain to get a web page author to fix broken links on
their page which is effectively what you're saying.

Oh, I didn't mean to suggest that /foo/bar should give a 404 error (page not
found) if the HTTP referrer was from another webpage, I just meant that I
don't believe it's an ideal solution to give a 301 (automatic redirect) in
that case.

Given the way web
pages currently work, I think it's important to keep from breaking web
pages.

To this extent, I have put redirector code into .../index.html in my web
pages since I mostly don't have actual content in the index.html page.

Ahh, cool!  So if someone links to

   http://www.foo.bar/glorp/gonk/zoop/index.html

your page redirects them to the canonical URL?

   http://www.foo.bar/glorp/gonk/zoop/

That's pretty cool.

In order to try an avoid broken links, I tend to link to a higher level
page if reasonable, and give directions as to how to get there. This is
because it's a pain to go fix all those links when stuff gets moved
around.

I also think that it's important when moving a page to leave a
re-director page at the old location as much as possible.

That reminds me -- I should add an additional option to view an older version
of a page of the page is no longer present and gives no forwarding address.

I hate playing
the "hunt for the person's web page" game when /x/y/z/page.html suddenly
doesn't work (for one thing, not all servers provide something for /x/y
(and some annoyingly re-direct you to an error page so you need to go
find the original link and cut and paste it into your browsers URL field
so that you can play with modifying it).

Wow, that's extra nasty!  :-)

--Todd