 Administrative / General / 6885
Re: Stick in the mud...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 02:55:41 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
A while back I suggested that common "mistake" urls ought to work the way the
user would expect. And Todd made changes at that time to catch a lot of the
common ones, at that time. I suspect those changes have been undone, since
there now is technology that generates blank pages (I presume in anticipation
of letting people author content) for unrecognized URLs, if they are only one
level deep from recognised ones.

While this is a good feature in general, it may have some unintended side
effects. (like the fact that guessing at URLs no longer works)

Actually, those changes are actually all still in place and still working.
For example, if you guess and type in:

   http://www.lugnet.com/members/

you'll be auto-forwarded to the correct URL:

   http://www.lugnet.com/people/members/

However, if you omit the trailing / character and type in

   http://www.lugnet.com/members

then it gives a blank FTX page rather than accessing index.cgi in the
/members/ directory.

I've been debating how to "fix" this situation.  Though it's certainly not
broken from a technical perspective, one could argue that it's broken from
a human-factors perspective because people have come to have unreasonable
expectations about making sloppy URLs, namely that it's so common for servers
to add a trailing slash when the user forgets it or is lazy.  I think it's a
terribly unfortunate thing when servers do this (IMHO they should instead give
a lecture page about proper URL form and only then act in a fault-tolerant way
and take the user to the most likely intended destination -- or give a list of
close matches), but it seems to be a long-standing tradition.  :-/

I might add a check which looks to see if </foo/bar/> is a "real" URL before
giving an empty page when </foo/bar> is accessed.  It would prevent having two
different pages </foo/bar> and </foo/bar/> (the latter being a short form of
</foo/bar/index>).  Then, if </foo/bar/> is a "real" URL, it could either
auto-forward from </foo/bar> to </foo/bar/> or give an error page like this
one:

   http://www.lugnet.com/lsahs

which helps deter sloppy (i.e. wrong) URLs from being propagated.

--Todd