 Administrative / General / 7612
Re: Trailing Slashes (Re: Stick in the mud...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 13:14:00 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Todd Lehman wrote:

In lugnet.admin.general, Matthew Miller writes:
In cases where there isn't a redirection, it shouldn't do anything fancy to
it. How would that not fix the issue?

Maybe I misunderstood the problem. I thought you were saying that IE stores

  <http://www.lugnet.com/foo/> and  <http://www.example.com/bar/>

as

  <http://www.lugnet.com/foo> and <http://www.example.com/bar>

in the history.

That's what I heard too.  Hmm.  That jives with my findings from MSIE3 long
ago -- it was confused about the coloring.  But here, this is an even worse
bug.  Steve, what version of MSIE are you seeing this with?

MSIE5.0

The thing is, if you've never visited <http://www.lugnet.com/foo> but you
have visited <http://www.lugnet.com/foo/>, no browser should ever truncate
the URL such that the next time you try to go back to that URL, it sends the
wrong URL by default.

I agree completely.  Too bad we live in a world with MSIE.

How about MSIE's bookmarks?  If you bookmark <http://www.lugnet.com/foo/> and
then resummon it, does MSIE correctly request <http://www.lugnet.com/foo/>
from the server or does it mistakenly request <http://www.lugnet.com/foo>
from the server?

Bookmarks seem to work correctly -- the trailing slash is retained.

The thing about 301 Moved Permanently messages is that the server is saying,
"Oops, you've sent me a wrong URL.  Here is the correct URL and if you ask me
for that URL, you can have the page."  The "Looking for this?" page that the
LUGNET webserver gives for some pages was intended to be shown to people
who've made wrong links, to help prevent them and prevent them propagating.
It's unfortunate that a browser as popular as MSIE would burden every
webserver it encounters by truncating off the trailing slash without user
intervention.  :-(  :-(  :-(

Does MSIE correctly handle URLs like these?--

  http://www.foo.bar/glort/info/grunt.asp?page=/skus/lego/starwars/

I couldn't even begin to tell you.  Next time I run across one of those,
I'll double-check.

Steve