 Administrative / General / 6897
Re: Stick in the mud...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 17:39:55 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Mike Stanley writes:

Every frustrated user who doesn't make it
to a page and see that link is a potential sale lost.

Yes, and I'm sure the lost revenue from people who are trying to open a browser
and point to Lugnet to find a set (without using the search feature, mind you)
and follow that link through to eToys to buy the item, adds up toa staggering
amount.

Honestly:  When was the last time you tried to open a set page without
following links to it?

As for people being unable to find the discussion groups, try typing in this:

www.lugnet.com/castle

Anything there that even remotely suggests you might find something more if
you type this:

www.lugnet.com/castle/

No.

Hmm.  Well, as a user of Lugnet, if I encoutered this, I'd just open the main
page and click on the "Castle" link, find the group, and shrug it off and move
on with my life.

If I were someone who had just heard about Lugnet, I find it difficult to
beleive I'd go straight to www.lugnet.com/castle- I find it further difficult
to beleive that I wouldn't try www.lugnet.com if I found that didn't turn
something up.

Call me lazy, won't bother me

Ok, you're lazy.

Or maybe more interested in having his system fulfill its purpose than
in being 100% technically correct when it comes to URLs?

I think the Lugnet system *does* fulfill it's purpose.  Quite well, in fact.

eric