 Administrative / General / 6920
Re: Stick in the mud...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 21:51:24 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Kevin Loch writes:
In this example, if /foo/bar doesn't exist the user should get what • /foo/bar/
points to, one way or another.  Not a page to help them get to it.  [...]

I agree that this is ideal in cases where the user may have mis-typed the URL
by hand (or had been given the wrong URL from, say, a print ad in a magazine,
and they typed it in by hand).  I'm not sure it's ideal for cases where • someone
explicitly wrote the URL wrong when they made a link from another page.

What's the difference between someone typing in a url into a browser and
typing a url into a text editor?  Not much, except perhaps the person
typing it into a text editor should consider proper netiquette.

A good example of the exceptional /foo/bar scenario is lugnet.com/announce.
There is an ambiguity between lugnet.com/announce and lugnet.com/announce/.
The funny thing is lugnet.com/announce exists only point out the fact that it
exists and the exceptional condition has occurred.  Furthermore,
the only relevant content on lugnet.com/announce is a link to
lugnet.com/announce/ which the user would have normally been redirected to if
the exceptional page diddn't exist.  Seems like a waste of time and resources
to me.

Interestingly, lugnet.com returns the same content as lugnet.com/
as one would expect.  Why not create an exception condition for lugnet.com
also?  I bet lots of people link to and type lugnet.com instead of lugnet.com/.
Shouldn't we set them straight?

Of course not.  The whole thing is silly.  The only time I have ever seen
an ambiguous condition between directories and files is the ones on lugnet
that just point to the otherwise unambiguous content.  The only concequence
is a 301 redirect and an entry in the log file.  That's a small price to pay
for delivering the content the user requested.

KL