 Administrative / General / 5714
Re: This new subject doesn't reset the thread (Re: Lego Direct (was Re: Georgia LEGO Outlet is Cool!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 02:42:31 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I'm redirecting this discussion to lugnet.off-topic.debate where I should
have set follow-ups in the first place...

(I think my original note was perhaps appropriate for admin, but the
discussion is going to most likely be of the debate kind of thing, rather
than addressing legitimate Lugnet administrative issues).

Frank

Larry Pieniazek wrote in message ...
In lugnet.admin.general, Frank Filz writes:

Another point, it's almost impossible to create a hypothetical scenario to
debate some issue which is not in some way tied to real examples of the
issue. You were attempting to debate how unfair it was that someone would • be
contacted by TLC and be given the opportunity to buy all of some set. • Well,
guess what, the whole conversation got started because Larry was given • just
this opportunity. How is he supposed to say "well, gee, Richard really • isn't
talking about me in his example"?

But you see, I was wrong, because I didn't notice that Richard changed the
subject, which in his world view starts a new thread, regardless of how all • the
newsreaders in the world implement it, and regardless of how Lugnet itself • in
the web interface implements it.

I think there's a good issue to discuss here, which is, how important are
conventions and implicit knowledge vs. intentions that were (or weren't)
explicitly stated about how something should be perceived

I think that most everyone would agree that someone who drove on the wrong • side
of the road because they didn't want to honor the convention almost • certainly
was in the wrong.

On the other hand, someone who used studs not on top in order to make • something
neat would be applauded for their successful violation of convention.

So there's a grey area there.

Where is the line? Do we give Richard the benefit of the doubt on this?

I'd tend to say that this particular convention is pretty strong. To wit, • if
you want to start a new thread, convention is that you go start a NEW one, • not
just change the subject. Changing the subject merely shows that you feel • the
thread has wandered. Of course that then begs the question of what is the
difference between "new" and "wandered off".

But there's something to be said for cutting slack especially when that • slack
later turns a person around and makes them a valid member of society • again...
OTOH it's also good to cut slack because of the "give them enough rope" • effect.

Note that I know I'm not particularly good at cutting slack for the first • of
those reasons...

++Lar