 Administrative / General / 5697
Re: Lego Direct (was Re: Georgia LEGO Outlet is Cool!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 23:26:13 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Richard Marchetti writes:
[...]
Its ridiculous, in my view, for Todd to hold us all to a standard higher than
that of primetime television programming.  If TV isn't representative of mass
culture, then I don't know what is.

Maybe I shouldn't feel insulted by this, but I am.  If you think you're
being blocked from posting to .dear-lego for use of language, you're mistaken.
You (and Tom, and possibly Mike, although I haven't heard complaints about
Mike's posts) are being blocked from posting to .dear-lego because you upset
a bunch of people enough to complain about you AND because you were posting
wildly off-topic for that group with no end in sight.

I actually couldn't care less exactly what you said or how you said it; all
that matters to me is how it was received by people and whether or not your
posts were on-topic.  People politely asked you to stop or take it elsewhere,
yet you didn't -- you dug your heels in.  For whatever reason (and I don't
care what those reasons are) you continued to post farther and farther off-
topic for that group and continued to serve as a catalyst making things
progressively worse.

This is ridiculous on its face.  I never come to Todd for anything unless he
is exerting his administrative muscle against me.  I would rather he didn't,
but if he is going to I just happen to think that you should be included in
this little time-out from Dear Lego.  If Todd had done nothing, I wouldn't be
addressing him here at all.  After Frank asked for ass-istance on this
subject, I asked for fairness in the manner in which any censure would be
carried out.

Richard (M), you seem to be viewing this block as some sort of punishment.  It
is not intended that way.  Its purpose is to stop the ruckus and off-topic
clamor in .dear-lego, nothing more.

You are more than welcome to take your LEGO Outlet and/or LEGO Direct rants to
.off-topic.debate or .market.theory.  In those groups, there is a much higher
probability that you will be on-topic for the group you are posting in, and a
much lower probability that anyone will register complaints about your posts.

When you've taken a breather and are ready to continue posting on-topic again
to .dear-lego, PLMK.  I hope I speak for everyone when I say that we all would
welcome anything you have to say there that's on-topic to the .dear-lego group
(open letters to LEGO, with civility as appropriate).

Use the .market.theory and/or .off-topic.debate group to work through the
emotions.  Get to the heart of the matters, learn where the agreements and
disagreements lie.  See if the rants can't be reworked into some bulleted
constructive feedback for LEGO...then you'll have something really good for
.dear-lego.  I know you can do it!

--Todd