 Administrative / General / 5647
Re: Lego Direct (was Re: Georgia LEGO Outlet is Cool!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 15:41:10 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

"Richard Franks" <spontificus@yahoo.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.admin.general, Frank Filz writes:
Offended by the opinions expressed or the words used? The name-calling • has
been pretty much equal IMHO. If you're offended by the actual words, • then I
think you've missed a larger chance to be offended in Tom's post.

I am offended by the language used (though I consider calling people
asses much more offensive than telling someone to **** off).

I agree that people shouldn't partake in name-calling etc, but to be • fair - in
the context of the (heated) debate, the name-calling was not just one-way.
Which I was why I was more offended by the latter post - my opinion :)

This happens quite a lot (too much?) on LUGNET. Once positions have been
adopted in debates, the same points get raised again and again... and the
same response is given each time. Ultimately, the whole debate turns into a
shouting competition, and then it all fizzles out after some name calling.
Consensus is seldom reached. I do not have enough experience of the "net" to
say if this is a problem that only LUGNET has(?).

I am convinced that a lot of the big noise makers here, would not say "boo"
to a goose in real life{1}.

Scott A

{1} Is this a UK only phrase?

I'm also offended by the opinions expressed, however, while I can expect • Todd
to do something about the words used (because of the T&C we all agreed • to) I
can't expect Todd to do anything about the opinions (other than speak
his own mind about them, which he has).

Agreed too - I think the T&C also cover 'trouble-makers', but again to be
fair, I think Richard Marchetti was right when he said that he'd hit a • sore
spot.. and I wouldn't single out anyone to blame for the culminating • debate.

Richard