 Administrative / General / 5695
Re: Lego Direct (was Re: Georgia LEGO Outlet is Cool!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 23:19:44 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Richard Marchetti writes:
I just happen not to think its that big a deal.  I think I have
even heard it on T.V [actually, I am sure that I have heard that and worse in
sitcoms].

Its ridiculous, in my view, for Todd to hold us all to a standard higher than
that of primetime television programming.  If TV isn't representative of mass
culture, then I don't know what is.

I would argue (we're x-posted to .debate now), that if anything TV should not
be held as a standard for what should and shouldn't be done on LUGNET. By
nature, TV is ratings hungry.. and if they think they can grab a few more
seconds of attention by pushing the acceptable barrier - then they will do
that.

I think, by definition, nothing is representative of mass culture. But that's
another issue..

This is ridiculous on its face.  I never come to Todd for anything unless he
is exerting his administrative muscle against me.  I would rather he didn't,
but if he is going to I just happen to think that you should be included in
this little time-out from Dear Lego.

IMHO Mike wasn't the problem - if you had kept your temper and not called
people slugs and asses etc, then maybe Mike would have in contrast been more
rude, and maybe he would have been blocked instead of you. Maybe he wouldn't
have felt the need to react the way he did. But no-one's telling you not to
give your opinion, or tell people exactly what you think of them - but you do
understand that with that freedom that you claim, comes responsibility?

Mike chose to hold more of his tongue than you did - it was your choice.

In ways good and bad, Todd runs the show here.  Todd is the arbiter of what he
thinks is cool on Lugnet.  I think there is intentionally a lot of wiggle room
in the Terms of Use as they are currently stated.  Wiggle room currently being
used against myself and Tom.

You are responsible for your *own* actions only. If you agree that your
blocking was a fair enough action, then great. If you think that Mike should be
blocked to then by all means state your objection clearly (you have 3 or 4
times now), but beyond that it isn't your concern. I really can't speak for
Todd, but I believe that it is a **LOT** more fun having the freedom to skip
around the lines, than having the job of enforcing them and making sure
everyone is playing nicely.

Richard