 Off-Topic / Debate / 28491
Re: Arkham Asylum - A cool set, but a bit disturbing.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2007 13:40:59 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Laswell wrote:

   In many parts of the US, it is patently illegal to take any life, even your own. In days of old, it was even a capital offense in some areas. Yes, that means that if you try to kill yourself, fail, and change your mind about any further attempts...the legal system could effectively force it on you if/when they ever found out.

You’re correct, but that’s kind of a dumb law. There’s a ton of things that you can do to yourself that you can’t do to others without consent, among which tattooing and masturbation are perhaps two of the most obvious examples. Why suicide should be afforded this mystical “thou shalt not” status makes no sense to me, assuming that the individual is of sound mental capacity, of course.

Dave!