 Off-Topic / Debate / 28492
Re: Arkham Asylum - A cool set, but a bit disturbing.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2007 14:33:07 GMT

   This is bad. If people wants to kill themselves, they should knock themselves out. Assisting them is not noble and compassionate IMO.

I don’t know that it’s as simple as a black-and-white declaration. If someone is at full mental faculty but is physically incapacitated by constant agony with no hope of relief, how is it noble and compassionate to force that person to continue to suffer until the reaper shows up?

It’s not in that situation, either. It is noble and compassionate to try and comfort and help provide meaning to one in pain and agony.

Further, not helping someone kill themselves can hardly be characterized as “forcing” them to live, Dave! Blame the person’s mother!

   It’s considered humane to euthanize a wounded and suffering animal with no hope of recovery, yet it’s murder to assist a wounded and suffering person in the same way?

I’m not sure I can reconcile that, to be honest.

For the simple reason that we are NOT animals! We are humans. That is a HUGE distinction. I know that there are those who believe that we are simply another animal on this mother earth, and this is where that kind of thinking leads one. It is specious that we share 80%+ of our DNA with pond scum, Dave!

I AM NOT AN ANIMAL!

JOHN