 Off-Topic / Debate / 28477
Re: Arkham Asylum - A cool set, but a bit disturbing.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 9 Jun 2007 17:47:33 GMT

   And if I may intrude into this here, we have had some wonderful fiction on the telly lately in which what is considered to be ‘the bad guy’ in the ‘tv show universe’ is the person we most relate to.

Generally speaking, this is the idea to which I object. Identifying with bad guys is bad.

   Loads of examples, but starting off with ‘Captain Mal’ in ‘Firefly’--he’s a smuggler a la Han Solo (another fine example)--they’re not villians, to be sure, but, in their universe, they break the laws to succeed.

And yet here we are, the viewing audience--we don’t like the Alliance in Firefly and we dont’ like ‘The Empire’ in Star Wars.

Is Han really bad? Sure, he undermines the laws of an evil empire, but does that make him “bad”? Shouldn’t we resist evil (bad)?

   Furthermore, going with Firefly, we have the movie ‘Serenity’, in which ‘The Operative’ *admits* he’s the monster (as, he states, is Cap. Mal) and, due to his own ‘monsterhood’, is unable to live in the ‘sinless world’ that he’s endeavouring to help create by his actions in silencing River. Yet, by the end of the movie (if Joss did his job properly), we feel sympathy for both Capt. Mal, but especially The Operative, because it was his base axioms that he believed in (Alliance = good, sinless) that were faulty, and when he found that out he was left with nothing.

I can’t comment on that, since I’ve never seen “Serenity” nor “Firefly”.

   I’m with Dave on this one--there’s more to humanity than attributing people or events to ‘evil’ and ‘good’--this isn’t some ‘30’s movie where the guy with the handlebar mustache ties the woman to the railroad tracks, but hte guy with the white hat comes riding in to ‘save the day’.

But what I’m talking about is judging actions. You just don’t become bad, you do bad things which in turn make you a bad person.

   Bringing it back to reality, there was a guy and his wife right here in the province in which I live (and I’ll never mention his name on the ‘net ‘cause I’ll never add to the ‘infamousness’ of the jackass) who took it upon themselves to kidnap a few teenage girls, and what usually happens in these instances happened.

We could say that this guy was ‘pure evil’--and, left up to me, if he and I happened to find ourselves in the same room, only one of us would come out alive (at least, that’s how I *feel*, but finding myself in that situation, would I be able to take another life? I dunno), but this guy had a mom and dad--they knew him as a ‘cute kid’. He had friends and family who remembered someone different than what he became.

Right. He was a cute kid, because he hadn’t done anything bad yet.

   Crossing between reality and fiction, I’ve never been able to reconcile this--I saw Star Wars when I was 10. Darth was tall, black and evil--he kills people by crushing their necks and he blows up planets. And then in ‘Return of the Jedi’, I’m suppose to feel sympathy for him ‘cause he saves his kid and, in the process dies himself? Futhermore, what are we to think of regarding ‘cute little Anakin’ in Episode 1 of Star Wars? Here he’s all cute and worried about mommy and the like, when we, the viewers, *know* he’s going to grow up and become Darth Vader--killer of people and planets.

This is precisely the crap that the liberal minds likes to project-- confusing the lines between good and evil to the point where the two are barely distinguishable.

   And then this brings up the wonderful time travel morality question that we’ve all heard--if you could go back to 1900 and found little adolph playing in the street... He hasn’t done anything yet!

Which brings us to the second wonderful time travel question-- is it possible to alter the future (which has already occured, BTW)

   Which I think then brings it back to Dave’s point--in this LEGO set, the ‘bad guy’ is strapped on a table--he can’t *do* anything--he’s rendered incapacitated.

So what?

   Do not our ‘moral’ intentions then have to turn to protecting those who *cannot* protect themselves? Protect the guy from torture??

So you are saying that I should rescue him so that I can bring him to justice using our judical system? Why am I compelled to defend the evil? Are there not anymore good people left to defend?

   I think we’ve talked about this before, and I’ll remember that I’m mostly speaking to a crowd that loves to misinterpret the 2nd ammendment--every so often we’ll see the news in which ‘home owner shoots and kills robbers’. Some cases, as previously discussed, the robbers were either incapacitated in some way or were ‘fleeing the premesis’--no threat of harm to the home owner or others, yet the shot is still fired and the guy is still dead.

No threat, until the scum decide to do it all again the next day.

   Here I don’t have a problem with where the evil is. Was a crime committed? yes--the robbers shouldn’t have been there in the first place. However, that does not make the crooks ‘pure evil’ nor does it justify ‘death by shooting’ if they are incapacitated or in the process of fleeing the scene. The owner, taking that shot, has now become the guy standing before the criminal strapped to the table.

Maybe. But you have to consider the possibility that there is a good chance that these criminals will strike again, with a less than favorable outcome for the innocent.

   I think that the world is full of ‘grey’--there is no black and white. It really is one of the fundamental tennants I learned from the Christian University I attended a long time ago (which I’ve adapted for my personal use)--*if* the world is sinful, *then* everything and everyone is--there’s no getting around it. If one says we live in a fallen world, then we’re all fallen--there are no ‘perfectly good’ people and no ‘perfectly evil’ people.

Of course the world is gray and nobody’s perfect; but that doesn’t mean our standards should be gray. We should always be striving for white, which, in part, means eschewing black. We cannot cross a divide while still keeping a foot on both sides.

I am questioning those whose intent isn’t to strive for good, but to explore and dwell in black. These are the people who make the world worse for everyone else. Good people are respectful, kind, and have genuine regard for others. Bad people don’t; they are basically selfish. And I’d go so far as to say that good people are happy people, and selfish people aren’t. That may seem simplistic, but not everything is rocket science:-)

   Even what’s-his-name from Ontario could speak a good line--he managed to convince someone to marry him and he was a pretty good talker. And, as stated, he did have friends and family who wondered what became of that ‘cute kid’ they remembered.

Yes there are degrees and yes people should be held accountable for their actions. In the process of holding people accountable, we must be careful to not become that which we’re fighting against. I think Neitzche said something like that.

Yes, we need to choose our battles wisely.

Neitzsche: God is dead. God: Neitzsche is dead.

:-)

JOHN