 Off-Topic / Debate / 28461
Re: Arkham Asylum - A cool set, but a bit disturbing.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2007 20:20:16 GMT

   All you do is give, Dave!

My generosity and my humility are the two attributes of which I’m most proud.

   which side is being portrayed as good and which side as evil? The strapped-down supervillain or his torturers?

Well, I’m not too familiar with the story line here, so I can’t really say. If a bad guy is torturing a bad guy, well, while I can’t condone that type of behavior, I can’t really sympathize with the victim, either.

But you can hate the crime without loving the victim, can’t you?

   For the good/evil struggle thing to work, it is the innocent who must suffer.

Ah! But that’s the difference between melodrama and drama. The more sophistimacated challenge is for the reader/viewer to be made to sympathize with a villain rather than always rooting for the innocent victim.

   When the evil suffer, it is plain ol’ comeuppance:-)

That’s a little too Deuteronomy for my tastes! IMO once the guy is strapped down (or otherwise rendered harmless) then his jailer has no business or right to inflict further harm upon him. We’ve had this discussion before, of course, and I’m sure we’ll have it again and again. But in brief, it’s not a question of “innocence” in any absolute sense; the torturer is the villian and the recipient of the torture is the victim who deserves our protection.

All of this is beyond the scope of Richie’s initial question, I think, but it makes for interesting discussion regardless.

Dave!