 Off-Topic / Debate / 28496
Re: Arkham Asylum - A cool set, but a bit disturbing.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2007 18:39:19 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Timothy Gould wrote:
   I dug up some statistics (page 288- of the PDF) and it would appear that in the US just under one third of drug users are using something other than marijuana. So when talking about high-risk people (those whose actions are a danger to someone other than themself) we’re looking at a fraction of a third, which is a small portion. In most other developed countries I’ve seen statistics for the percentage of drug users using something other than marijuana is even lower.

Yeah, but if the percentage of people who posed an immediate risk to people other than themselves was significantly higher, there would be more political capital to do something about it. Once the public perceives a lack of risk to themselves, they are less thrilled about spending lots of money to combat a situation that they see as “mostly resolved”.

   And to anticipate any arguments that marijuana is harmful (I have no doubts that it is) I did say ‘no more than users of legal narcotics’. Yes marijuana has its problems but I’m yet to see anything from a reputable source suggestion they’re in any way worse than those associated with tobacco or alcohol.

The only hard statistic I’ve seen so far is that one joint = one beer in terms of how impaired it makes you as a driver. I would have figured it’d be higher than that, as most people that I’ve witnessed don’t show any signs of impairment from a single beer.

   I should also note that crime associated with drug use is not neccessarily a result of the drug use so much as a result of its illegal nature. If one could get a recreational prescription to Oxycontin one wouldn’t need to mug anyone. It also strikes me as a very inefficient way of an addict to get a hold of their drugs. Robbing a pharmacy would have much better yields. Are you sure it’s really that common or is it just overreported because of the unpleasantess?

Oxycontin is a known high-risk drug, so pharmacies probably take extra measures to ensure that it does not get stolen from them (including, I would assume, not storing it in quantity, but probably just getting in enough to fill known upcoming prescriptions), though I’m sure it still happens. This drives the street price up (IIRC, the expose I watched on it suggested that a single pill can fetch $600-1000 each). The people who mug prescription users for the pills aren’t doing it so much for personal use as they are to harvest a supply to sell on the black market. One individual they cited has her husband drive in a separate car behind her, idling in the parking lot while she goes in to get her prescription, and waiting with cel phone ready in case anyone does anything when she’s returning to her car. Then he follows her home to make sure she’s not being tailed by anyone. All this just to get her a legal supply of pills that prevent her from being in excruciating pain.

The thing is, Oxycontin use is very rare, and once you’ve been mugged once for it, I’m sure there’s plenty of incentive to adjust your routine to prevent a second occurance. I have personally only met one person who positively identified him/herself as a prescription user, and have never heard of any muggings through regular news channels.

   That means that most governments are making it illegal for people to use something they enjoy for no good reason. Furthermore by making things illegal (as opposed to hard to get, for example) they are helping to increase robbery and property crime. Is this the action of a moral government and/or legal system?

“No good reason” is highly debatable. As far as I know, marijuana use has a low incidence of related crimes (it’s in plentiful supply, many people grow their own crop for personal use, it’s not horribly expensive, and it has low enough withdrawal symptoms that users aren’t constantly chasing after the next hit). Stuff like Oxycontin is an exponential-use drug. The more you use it, the more you need to use it, and withdrawal is reportedly bad to experience (there’s a Texan clinic that avoids that problem by inducing a coma until the drug has cleared out of your system, since it’s a physical addiction and the cravings will mostly go away once you’re clean). Therefore, even if it were legal and in plentiful supply, you’d eventually have people who couldn’t go to work because they wouldn’t be able to wait more than a couple of hours before taking another massive hit. Also, all you have to do is ask your local ER about drug overdose cases to see “good reason”. Marijuana is supposed to be no worse than alcohol, but one is illegal and the other isn’t. I suspect part of that is the fact that marijuana use was more contained when it was outlawed, whereas we have Prohibition to show how well it worked for alcohol. And tobacco was a staple industry of early America, which makes it that much harder to illegalize (though some inroads have been made by way of making it illegal in restaurants, bars, and public buildings in most States). Between those three, it’s probably difficult, but not impossible, to overdose. Once you get beyond them, however...

   Yes. I double checked and sure enough you are right. The wikipedia article does state, however, that ‘illegal narcotic’ is commonly used by paypersons to refer to illegal drugs in general, including by law enforcement.

Yes, which is why many law enforcement agencies will have a “narcotics” devision. And this is why the medical profession prefers the less easily confused term “opiates”, since all true narcotics are apparently opium derivatives or produce similar results.