 Licensed / Batman / 18
Re: Arkham Asylum - A cool set, but a bit disturbing.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.licensed.batman, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2007 16:32:41 GMT

In lugnet.licensed.batman, Tim David wrote:
   In lugnet.licensed.batman, Allister McLaren wrote:
   In lugnet.licensed.batman, Richie Dulin wrote:

   I know Arkham Asylum isn’t a standard mental health care facility by any reasonable measure, but the attic torture room seems to be a bit much. In fact, the guards getting the whip and the chainsaw ready, while the Riddler lies helplessly on the electroshock table, reminds me of some of the Abu Graib pictures.

Aren’t torture chambers generally located in the basement? I reckon it’s the Lobotomy Ward. That’s much more jolly.

   I may be taking this the wrong way, but I think this image seriously detracts from this set, and it’s not something I would feel comfortable allowing children to see (yes, I know they’ll see worse on TV).

Batman as a theme in general touches on some pretty dark themes that probably aren’t appropriate for children. I’ve often wondered how toy companies in general can justifiably market products aimed at children based on movies with a clear MA rating (or even PG13) eg. Revenge of the Sith, Batman Begins, Spiderman 3 etc. Obviously I’ve got outmoded ideas about the principles of toy design.

Allister

Reading through this thread I was coming to the same conclusions. I think its the main point. If a film is unsuitable for children then why are toys made of it?

Well, there’s a pollyanna answer and a cynical answer.

Pollyanna: The toys are produced for teenagers and adults who see the film and who still like to collect; they’re only seemingly marketed to children so that the adult buyers feel youthful and invigorated by their purchases.

Cynical: Because they don’t care who sees the film or buys the merchandise, as long as it rakes in a ton of cash.

Sadly, I think that the latter view is more in line with reality...

Dave!