 Off-Topic / Debate / 28489
Re: Arkham Asylum - A cool set, but a bit disturbing.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2007 10:24:28 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Laswell wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Timothy Gould wrote:
   The vast majority of illegal narcotics users don’t cause much harm to society (and certainly no more than users of legal narcotics such as alcohol). Heroin and crack cocaine (being the two with the really, really high danger levels) account for a very small portion of total illegal narcotics use. On the whole it seems to be a combination of political inertia and misinformation that keep any sort of change from happening rather than good evidence.

I’d say that depends on the society. In the US there is a problem with people mugging Oxycontin(sp?)-dependant people for their prescriptions and mainlining it. It is perhaps more expensive than heroin, and anyone who actually needs it to control crippling pain is automatically at risk for extreme violence.

I dug up some statistics (page 288- of the PDF) and it would appear that in the US just under one third of drug users are using something other than marijuana. So when talking about high-risk people (those whose actions are a danger to someone other than themself) we’re looking at a fraction of a third, which is a small portion. In most other developed countries I’ve seen statistics for the percentage of drug users using something other than marijuana is even lower.

And to anticipate any arguments that marijuana is harmful (I have no doubts that it is) I did say ‘no more than users of legal narcotics’. Yes marijuana has its problems but I’m yet to see anything from a reputable source suggestion they’re in any way worse than those associated with tobacco or alcohol.

I should also note that crime associated with drug use is not neccessarily a result of the drug use so much as a result of its illegal nature. If one could get a recreational prescription to Oxycontin one wouldn’t need to mug anyone. It also strikes me as a very inefficient way of an addict to get a hold of their drugs. Robbing a pharmacy would have much better yields. Are you sure it’s really that common or is it just overreported because of the unpleasantess?

That means that most governments are making it illegal for people to use something they enjoy for no good reason. Furthermore by making things illegal (as opposed to hard to get, for example) they are helping to increase robbery and property crime. Is this the action of a moral government and/or legal system?

   Oh, and cocaine is a stimulant, not a narcotic, and alcohol is a depressant.

Yes. I double checked and sure enough you are right. The wikipedia article does state, however, that ‘illegal narcotic’ is commonly used by paypersons to refer to illegal drugs in general, including by law enforcement.

   The people most in need of assisted suicide are unable to do so themselves which is why they need assistance. The Governement is restricting their right to kill themselves.

You’re assuming that suicide is legal to begin with. In many parts of the US, it is patently illegal to take any life, even your own. In days of old, it was even a capital offense in some areas. Yes, that means that if you try to kill yourself, fail, and change your mind about any further attempts...the legal system could effectively force it on you if/when they ever found out. Makes no sense at all, which is why most, if not all, of these states have struck that punishment from the books (though not necessarily the illegality of the act itself).

Well that takes immorality of law to a whole new level. I’d heard rumours about that sort of law in the US but was never sure if it was an urban myth or not.

Tim