 Off-Topic / Debate / 28487
Re: Arkham Asylum - A cool set, but a bit disturbing.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 10 Jun 2007 16:01:29 GMT

--snip--

   What about someone who has been abused by a partner for many years and lacks the capacity to escape. If they kill that partner in cold blood they are a murderer but I’m pretty sympathetic to their plight. Liberal thinking allows them to get off in Court on occassions whereas Conservative thinking would send them to the chair.

Hmmm. Very broadly speaking, perhaps. But there are plenty of Conservatives who could easily sympathize with the killer in your example.

Yes I don’t doubt it but I think that the basic Conservative position (as opposed to the position of Conservatives) is against it. It becomes an ‘exception to the rule’ rather than part of a grey spread.

   As for theives: no death penalty; the cutting off of their hands will suffice;-)

   Do you really think it’s up to the homeowner to decide that the person stealing their tv is going to come back and do it again, next time using violence, and should be killed to prevent that from happening? Sounds like presentience to me which is beyond the mortal ken.

In my books if you kill someone who is not directly threatening someone else you are a murderer and you are ‘evil’. I don’t care if that person has just stolen your tv or not. Even the rather bloodthirsty Old Testament said an ‘eye for an eye’ rather than ‘a life for a stereo’.

I wouldn’t advocate the intentional attempt to kill a fleeing thief.

If you shoot at someone and they die you are at best a manslaughterer and at worst a murderer. The likely effect of shooting at someone is that they will be seriously injured. That’s immoral in my books.

Well, you are certainly taking a risk by shooting someone to merely injure them. The law would assume that you are trying to kill them AFAIK. Now, I assume your statement here is still talking about a fleeing thief, and not an intruder in your home where you feel your family’s safety is in jeopardy, nes pas?

Yes. I’m still talking about the thief rather than the extremely rare attacker.

   How do you deal with people who are good, respectful, kind and have a genuine regard for others but do thinks which you consider to be immoral?

They can think whatever they want! I don’t care.

Damn typos.

No, I wasn’t commenting on your typo. I really meant it. People can think whatever they want. I’m concerned about what they do.

On that I think I share your view although I’m probably more accepting of mitigating circumstances when they can drastically alter a person’s thinking.

   But not all illegal/’immoral’ things infringe anyone else’s rights. Some examples of activities that don’t harm anyone and yet are banned are narcotics use,

Disagree. Junkies are a terrible burden on society, not to mention the destruction they reak in the lives of their families. I understand that some people are able to use drugs recreationally, but the vast majority of drug users completely lose control and become addicts, and they all but render that point mute.

The vast majority of illegal narcotics users don’t cause much harm to society (and certainly no more than users of legal narcotics such as alcohol). Heroin and crack cocaine (being the two with the really, really high danger levels) account for a very small portion of total illegal narcotics use. On the whole it seems to be a combination of political inertia and misinformation that keep any sort of change from happening rather than good evidence.

   bigamy

I would argue against bigamy for legal reasons, not moral ones. It is a clear violation of the marriage contract. As for polygamy; I’m not against the concept per se, I just don’t think it is a good idea for my society.

But the legal contract is there to reinforce a social more rather than for any harm reduction so its restriction is thus an arbitrart Governmental restriction on people’s rights.

   and assisted suicide.

This is bad. If people wants to kill themselves, they should knock themselves out. Assisting them is not noble and compassionate IMO.

The people most in need of assisted suicide are unable to do so themselves which is why they need assistance. The Governement is restricting their right to kill themselves.

It seems to me that it’s an immoral society which won’t let a terminally ill elderly person whose life is spent in great pain to end that pain at the expense of a few months life.

   Does that mean society at large through the goverment is behaving immorally by banning them?

Societal constructs are the result of the sensibilities of its citizens. In our society, we ban polygamy. Other countries allow it. Fine. Since we are a free society, one can either leave the country, or work to change the society to one’s own liking.

JOHN

As I’m sure you know movement of people is not really much of an option in the current world climate so I don’t consider that a vaild option (if people could move as freely as money I would but they can’t). Yes they can work to change the system but I’m not questioning whether or not the system should be changed, but whether the current system is moral.

Tim