 Licensed / Batman / 20
Re: Arkham Asylum - A cool set, but a bit disturbing.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.licensed.batman, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2007 21:04:17 GMT

In lugnet.licensed.batman, Dave Schuler wrote:
   In lugnet.licensed.batman, Tim David wrote:
   If a film is unsuitable for children then why are toys made of it?

Well, there’s a pollyanna answer and a cynical answer.

Pollyanna: The toys are produced for teenagers and adults who see the film and who still like to collect; they’re only seemingly marketed to children so that the adult buyers feel youthful and invigorated by their purchases.

Cynical: Because they don’t care who sees the film or buys the merchandise, as long as it rakes in a ton of cash.

Sadly, I think that the latter view is more in line with reality...

As a born-again Capitalist, the answer is clear to me, and Dave’s right: it’s all about the money. If somebody can earn money from making toys by tying into a craze, then they’ll do it. Far too many companies look only at the bottom line, and their quality is low, accuracy is nonexistent, and the consumer ultimately unsatisfied.

At least LEGO is picky about its licenses - for example, they won’t do Lord of the Rings since it’s overall too violent for their target audience. Sure, Batman has a violent side, but he’s less bloody than Aragorn scything through Orcs on Pellenor field. Same for Star Wars - the action is heroic and the less savory bits are glossed over.

I guess the bottom line for TLG would be that Batman has a large fan base of young kids, and the violence isn’t necessarily prurient or bloody. Just my guess why LEGO acquired the Batman license.

Kelly