 Licensed / Batman / 25
Re: Arkham Asylum - A cool set, but a bit disturbing.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.licensed.batman
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2007 06:46:32 GMT

In lugnet.licensed.batman, David Laswell wrote:
   In lugnet.licensed.batman, Ken Dowd wrote:
   3)In the current saturday morning show ‘The Batman’, Dr. Hugo Strange started out as the head of Arkham - with results similar to the Scarecrows’ in Batman Begins.

Hugo Strange generally goes by the title “professor”, probably so as to not be confused with Marvel’s Dr. Strange, who is considerably stranger than Prof. Strange...which is not to say that Prof. Strange isn’t strange in his own right. This is also not his first involvement with Arkham from the management side. There’s a miniseries from a few year back titled “Batman & the Monster Men” where Prof. Strange bribed Arkham personel to supply him with inmates for use in unsavory experiments.

Yup. I always have trouble keeping the doctor vs. professor thing straight concerning Hugo Strange. And I should know better since I just recently read “Batman and the Monster Men”.

   4)In ‘Batman: the Animated Adventures’, a brilliant young doctor named Harleen Quinzel, was corrupted by the Joker and became super-villainess, Harley Quinn.

The official title is somewhat nebulous (this show has the distinction of being the first and possibly only show to never have the show’s name featured even once during the beginning or end credits, or adjacent to any commercial breaks, as it was deemed that the pointy-eared cowl was distinctive enough that nearly everyone in the entire world would get the idea from Batman’s closeup photo in the opening credits), but it is commonly refered to as Batman: The Animated Series (or B:TAS), while the last season or so was retitled to The Batman and Robin Adventures. It’s also the origination for an animation style dubbed “dark deco”, where all the backgrounds are painted on a black base rather than the customary white, which really tones the colors down.

Ack! As a big fan of the series I can’t believe I messed that up. But, I suppose it’s easy to do with the different titles it’s gone by: “Batman: The Animated Series” to “The Adventures of Batman and Robin” to “The New Batman/Superman Adventures”. Then there’s the spin-off comic book series: “The Batman Adventures” to “Batman and Robin Adventures” to “Batman: Gotham Adventures” and finally, just “Batman Adventures”.

The TV show is available in 4 DVD boxed sets under the “Batman: The Animated Series” title and the comics can be had as back issues. As my favorite incarnation of the ‘Dark Knight’, I highly recommend them to anyone with an interest in the Batman mythos.

Ken