 Off-Topic / Debate / 28488
Re: Arkham Asylum - A cool set, but a bit disturbing.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 10 Jun 2007 17:46:16 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Timothy Gould wrote:
   The vast majority of illegal narcotics users don’t cause much harm to society (and certainly no more than users of legal narcotics such as alcohol). Heroin and crack cocaine (being the two with the really, really high danger levels) account for a very small portion of total illegal narcotics use. On the whole it seems to be a combination of political inertia and misinformation that keep any sort of change from happening rather than good evidence.

I’d say that depends on the society. In the US there is a problem with people mugging Oxycontin(sp?)-dependant people for their prescriptions and mainlining it. It is perhaps more expensive than heroin, and anyone who actually needs it to control crippling pain is automatically at risk for extreme violence.

Oh, and cocaine is a stimulant, not a narcotic, and alcohol is a depressant.

   The people most in need of assisted suicide are unable to do so themselves which is why they need assistance. The Governement is restricting their right to kill themselves.

You’re assuming that suicide is legal to begin with. In many parts of the US, it is patently illegal to take any life, even your own. In days of old, it was even a capital offense in some areas. Yes, that means that if you try to kill yourself, fail, and change your mind about any further attempts...the legal system could effectively force it on you if/when they ever found out. Makes no sense at all, which is why most, if not all, of these states have struck that punishment from the books (though not necessarily the illegality of the act itself).