 Licensed / Batman / 8
Re: Arkham Asylum - A cool set, but a bit disturbing.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.licensed.batman
Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2007 13:45:20 GMT

In lugnet.licensed.batman, David Laswell wrote:
   In lugnet.licensed.batman, Richie Dulin wrote:
   I know Arkham Asylum isn’t a standard mental health care facility by any reasonable measure, but the attic torture room seems to be a bit much. In fact, the guards getting the whip and the chainsaw ready, while the Riddler lies helplessly on the electroshock table, reminds me of some of the Abu Graib pictures.

I agree that this image should not have been included on the box...but for an entirely different reason. Look at the set very closely. You’ve got the Riddler, and a cell for the Riddler. You’ve got Poison Ivy, and a cell for Poison Ivy. You’ve got three more dinky cells, and stickers to label them for the Joker, the Penguin, and Two-Face. And finally, you’ve got the Scarecrow...but no cell for him to occupy, nor any labels to designate one of the three mini-cells for him. His scythe is kept in the dry-storage room above Poison Ivy’s cell. There’s a secret rope ladder providing a means of entering/exiting the torture lab without having to go through the main door. And there’s the fact that it is a torture lab. Clearly the designers borrowed a theme from the excellent Batman Begins movie and put Professor Crane in charge of Arkham, ergo it should be Scarecrow, and not the guards, who is torturing one of the inmates. I don’t know that he has ever historically been on the Arkham staff in the comic books (a job with which Dr. Hugo Strange is more often associated), but it is a match that makes perfect sense.

What, the Scarecrow can’t have henchmen? You can’t run a supervillain lockup single-handedly. Not if you want to do a good job of it...

Steve