 Off-Topic / Debate / 28453
Re: Arkham Asylum - A cool set, but a bit disturbing.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2007 15:58:09 GMT

In lugnet.licensed.batman, Timothy Gould wrote:

I agree, but the buttterfly effect is arbitrary. There is nothing to say that your response mentioning the cartoons may not draw a random search to Richie’s post that sets any potential (and exceedingly unlikely) commotion off.

Which is exactly my original point. Any focus group could stumble upon Richie’s original post and get all up in arms over it and start some sort of movement against LEGO. Putting the idea out there, anyone can read it and over-react any number of ways.

I just don’t consider Richie’s point to be particularly alarmist (although I don’t really agree with it either). He didn’t demand that Lego remove it or anything, merely brought a certain disturbing similarity to their attention.

He does suggest that it should be removed. This is posted on a public message board which anyone could read and having no knowledge or familiarity with the LEGO company could blow out of proportion. Much like some may think I’m doing. But perhaps a better place to start would be to contact LEGO directly if he’s that concerned.

Issues attract focus groups, focus groups pressure advertisers and that can affect company’s profits and people’s jobs.

   This is not without precendence given that LEGO have acted on disturbing similarities before.

In my opinion, there is no reason for LEGO to act on this particular issue. That is my main problem with the original post. I respect Richie 100% but the original issue does annoy me. I could probably use Tim as an example of how to take that with a grain of salt. Thanks.

-Mark